What is Business Coaching?
Whether a start-up or a mid-sized company, business coaching is about supporting business owners and entrepreneurs to help them in the following areas:
- Developing their vision, mission, and SMART goals;
- Designing and refining their business plan to achieve success;
- Supporting them in coping with stress and resiliency, especially in the early years of their business;
- Encouraging their strategic thinking and implementation skills;
- Ensuring they focus and use their time efficiently;
- Working on their habits and prioritizing skills;
- Building a sustainable management system;
- Supporting them in their gap analysis, needs analysis, and SWOT;
- Learning and adopting business development skills such as networking, finance, etc.
- Aiding in family matters should the need arise in a family-owned business.
A good business coach is the success partner for an entrepreneur. If you want to become a business coach, it is important to work on your own relationship with success and failure.
What should you look for in a business coaching certification program?
- Ensure that the business coach training has the right accreditation that will allow you to become a certified business coach.
- Look for the ICF ACTP (International Coach Federation Accredited Coach Training Program) or at least ICF ACSTH (International Coach Federation Approved Coach Specific Training) logos.
- Inquire about the background of the instructor. Do they have a successful business background, including running their own lucrative business? What is their coaching background and have they ever coached business owners themselves?
- Ensure the school is teaching coaching competencies that will allow you to acquire the skills required to lead effective coaching sessions. This will in turn give you the confidence to coach and build the fulfilling career that you deserve.