Here at FLOW, we define Business Coaching as becoming a success partner with entrepreneurs, business owners, and start-ups, helping them go above and beyond their current capacity. This kind of commitment requires the Business Coach to start with an understanding of their client’s existing patterns and perceptions, helping them analyse and describe where they want to be. They then partner with their client to close the gap between where they are and where they want to be.
A good Business Coach not only works on goals but takes a more in-depth approach and offers a macro position to create positive change that is more sustainable and scalable in the middle- and long-term.
There are nine areas of focus for you to become a Business Coach:
- Gain a business background to help understand the challenges of your clients more deeply. We strongly recommend you to use your experience and business knowledge to craft your business coach presence.
- Complete coach-specific training that is accredited and certified by the International Coach Federation (ICF) at the ACSTH or ACTP level.
- Don’t be shy in building your practice. Commit to achieving a designated number of business coaching experience hours.
- Partner with a mentor coach that holds ICF PCC or MCC credentials and who has business coaching experience. Your mentor will support your confidence beyond what you can imagine.
- Demonstrate an understanding and mastery of the ICF definition of coaching, code of ethics, and core competencies by writing oral and written assessments. If you have already finished an ACTP certification, these assessments will be a part of your program.
- Hire a business coach to help your own business goals thrive. You will gain insight about how coaching works both as a relationship and as a process, because if it works for you, it will work for others.
- Do a SWOT and GAP analysis for your business and for yourself to identify strengths, opportunities, threats, and weaknesses. Doing a SWOT analysis will help you create alternative scenarios for success.
- Based on the findings of the SWOT and GAP analyses, develop a business plan with the help of your own business coach.
- Spend the time and make the effort to take care of yourself! Do not forget to remind yourself to enjoy the ride to freedom!