Coaching is a general term and still, so many people across the world can claim that they are coaches. There is no barrier to that. However, when you look at the factors that brought success to coaches who made it to 6K figure and kept coaching, you realize that these coaches do not hesitate to invest in their skill development. Whether they are a career coach, executive coach, business coach or a life coach; they all have a progressive mindset and believe in continuous development. Do they invest randomly? No, there is almost a success formula that these coaches followed through.
So, do you want to follow their foot steps?
- Get certified! The first step is to invest in a coaching certification program. The largest accreditation body around the World is the International Coach Federation (ICF). ICF accredited coaching certification types are ACSTH (Accredited Coach Specific Training Hours) and ACTP (Accredited Coach Training Programs). The highest level of accreditation is ACTP. ICF ACTP accredited coaching courses will give you more depth with a broader set of tools and processes; not only verbal skills.
- The ICF has three certification tracks: ACC, PCC, MCC. Do your research and work towards your ACC and/or PCC credentialing. If you want to work with businesses and corporations, aim toards PCC sooner or later. PCC is the gold standard in the world of work.
- Set your intention: How many people do you want to be coaching at the end of one year following your certification? Then, coach as many people as you can without thinking about your specialty or money. Coaching a wider range of people other than your targeted niche will certainly develop your perspective and give you the experience to understand human nature.
- Get supervision and mentoring: Coaching is a form of dialogu to help people in their personal and professiponal lives. So, it is important to know where you are and what you are doing in that dialogue. Working with an experienced mentor coach/supervisor will align your competencies with those of ICF’s and help you build your confidence.
- Hire a coach: Before becoming a good coach, we strongly recommend you to work with one. This way, you will build insight about how the process and relationship of coaching is working and helping.
- Don’t worry about your niche (success coaching, career coaching, business coaching, executive coaching, corporate coaching, money coaching, life coaching…) in the beginning. Sometimes you find your niche, sometimes your niche finds you. Keep coaching and improving your skills.
- Use your coaching skills to develop yourself a sound career development or a business plan. Your plan should include your vision, goals and your action plan.